I think I spoke too soon when I said there was a lull in royal news as there was no shortage of stories this past week! With the very special occasion happening on Monday, wanted to recap the week’s happenings. I, for one, was thrilled with the endless stories on Prince Harry in the last few days..so let’s get to it!
The Diamond Jubilee
This Monday, February 6, marks the date that Princess Elizabeth officially became Queen Elizabeth. As you can imagine, there are endless articles, photo galleries and videos being released leading up to the big day; will post more on that later, but for now here are some headlines surrounding the celebrations..
- Church of England: Prayers and Liturgical Resources - the official prayer to be used in the Church of England during the Diamond Jubilee year was released.
- The Daily Express: The Queen’s 60 Glorious Years in Pictures to be Celebrated in Public Display - photos of The Queen’s 60 years on the throne are now on display at Windsor Castle. Entrance to the exhibit entitled: The Queen: 60 Photographs for 60 Years, is included in the price of general admission to Windsor Castle.
- The Telegraph: The Queen plants Diamond Jubilee tree in Sandringham - earlier this week, Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Anne planted an oak tree at Sandringham Estate, which will be at the center of the new 20-acre Jubilee Wood, honoring the milestone.
- ABC News: Spice Girls Reuniting for Queen Elizabeth II Celebration? – one of my favorite stories surrounding the Diamond Jubilee this week; there is talks of the Spice Girls reuniting for the June 4 celebrations. What better time to reunite the leaders of the “Girl Power” movement than for Her Majesty’s Diamond Jubilee? That has girl power written all over it..
Queen Elizabeth II and The Duke of Edinburgh
- The Today Show: Harry: Queen’s Secret to Success is Husband - segment surrounding comments from Prince Harry on what keeps The Queen going at her age. His answer? The support of her husband, The Duke of Edinburgh. Commentary from Camilla Tominey.
- CBS This Morning: British princes open up about their grandparents - further praise from Prince Harry and Prince William on their grandmother’s relationship with her husband and the major milestone she is approaching. Commentary from Victoria Arbiter.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
After a quiet holiday in the Caribbean with Catherine’s family, the dynamic duo took the media by storm this week with announcements and their general fabulousness. We are happy to have them back!
- People: William & Kate’s Patter of Little Feet: A Cocker Spaniel - after several weeks of speculation, it was confirmed that William & Kate have adopted a puppy. The Duke and Duchess welcomed a Cocker Spaniel to their growing family, despite rumors it was a Labrador. The media had a field day headlines alluding to a “new addition” and as above, “little feet” joining the household. Not just yet everyone!
- CNN: Tension Over Prince William in Falklands - After a relaxing getaway with the in-laws, Prince William departed for his six-week stint in the Falkland Islands. As reported by Max Foster, the deployment came with no shortage of tension, as Argentina cranks up the heat on future discussions regarding the territory.
- The Associated Foreign Press: With William abroad, Kate plans first solo engagement - finally, the announcement observers have been waiting for – no, not the pregnancy..the other announcement – The Duchess of Cambridge has made official plans on her solo charitable engagements. Catherine will visit The National Portrait Gallery on Feb. 8, followed by a Valentine’s Day visit to Liverpool to tour the Alder Hey Children’s Hospital and Action on Addiction.
- The Telegraph: Duchess of Cambridge meets recovering addicts on secret visit to treatment centre - In order to spend quality time learning about her chosen patronage, Catherine paid a secret visit to Action on Addiction on Thursday.
My favorite royal was out and about this week; from news on his Diamond Jubilee tour itinerary and his participation in the Walking with the Wound organization.
- CBS News: Prince Harry to play beach volleyball during overseas trip, reportedly wants to race Usain Bolt - Harry’s Caribbean and South American tour is heating up – and getting athletic. The Prince is looking to challenge Olympian Usain Bolt to a race while he visits the runner’s home country of Jamaica. Harry is never one to a shy away from a challenge – or a silly moment – and a race against the fastest man in the world would certainly be a sight to see. In keeping with the Olympic spirit, Harry will also participate in a beach volleyball match in Brazil. The Palace said that Harry’s first solo tour will “combine sports, military exercises and meetings with school children and locals.”
- The Telegraph: Prince Harry walks away from Everest expedition – as suspected, Prince Harry’s familial and military obligations will keep him from joining the Walking with the Wounded on their expedition to climb Mount Everest.
- Sentebale: Prince Harry to play in the Sentebale Royal Salute Polo Cup 2012 - Harry will join Prince Seeiso of Lesotho in the third Sentebale Polo Cup match in support of the Princes’ charity.
- The Daily Mail: Prince Harry hooded and ‘beaten’ in hostage training exercise ahead of Afghanistan helicopter deployment – Prince Harry underwent brutal training exercises as part of his Apache helicopter duties in preparation for a possible deployment to Afghanistan.
Additional Dates: Prince Harry supported Walking with the Wounded on Feb. 3 as they launched their Everest expedition. On Feb. 10 & 11, Harry will be at the Newbury Racecourse.